Applying for a Marriage License in Northport, Maine
Due to recent procedural changes in how Marriage Licenses are obtained, the process can take 45 minutes to complete. Please understand that we are a small office with minimal staff and calling ahead to schedule an appointment would be best.
- Valid Picture I.D. or Government Issued Passport
- Court Certified (raised seal) copy of Divorce Decree if prior marriage ended in divorce.
- Certified Death Certificate (raised seal) if prior marriage ended as a result of death
- Completed Marriage Intentions/License Application must be:
- signed in front of a Notary Public or the Clerk
- information on both parents of each party (with mother’s maiden name) must be included on the form.
- Social Security Number of both parties must be included on the form.
- Both parties must be at least 18 years at their LAST birthday.
- Unless the parties are not residents of the State of Maine, at least one needs to be a resident of the Town of Northport.
- Both parties MUST stand before the Clerk to obtain a Marriage License.
- The cost is $40.00 and is payable by cash, check or credit card (a $1.00 fee is assessed to card transactions).
- Licenses are issued the same day and are valid for 90 days from the date of issuance.
- Applicants will be provided an instructions sheet for the person performing the ceremony. This sheet will ensure that the officiant is familiar with how to complete the certificate after the ceremony has been performed as well as inform them about their obligation to return the completed license to Town Hall within a week of the ceremony.
Certified copies of the Certificate of Marriage are NOT automatically sent to the the couple after it has been returned to the Clerk. Certified copies are necessary for a change of name on Driver’s Licenses, Passports, bank accounts and Social Security cards. Certified copies may be issued upon request after the Certificate of Marriage has been received back by the Clerk. The cost for certified copies is $15.00 for one copy and $6.00 for each additional copy requested at that time. To request certified copies, the applicants MUST:
- Complete an application listing personal information of the requestor and their association with the record.
- Provide a valid photo I.D. with the above application.
- State the number of copies being requested.
- Provide payment (cash, check or card for an additional fee) for the number of copies requested.
- If the request is being made by mail, a S.A.S.E. MUST be included for return mail.